EccentricMuse

Alice Munro
Progress: 115/288 pages
Survival: A Thematic Guide to Canadian Literature
Margaret Atwood

A sign from the universe

Over the past two days, I've been noticing friends reading Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities, one of my favourite novels and one I haven't read in years.

Both ko and kinga have inspired me to pick it up and re-read it. I have a really cool hardcover that was my father's from his school days ... omg, strike that.

I just pulled it off the shelf and checked inside the cover, and it was not my father's: it was my Uncle Bill's.

Not to be maudlin or overshare or anything, but he died just this past Tuesday.  He was the last of that generation; my mother's only brother.  A class act; a really interesting, kind and generous man.  He left Canada in the 60s and moved to L.A., where he sold Volkswagens in Hollywood - "to movie stars", we all believed! hahaha

His funeral is tomorrow in Atlanta, and I am unable to go. I am thinking about him and remembering his life, and then here is this book - making an appearance on two threads in as many days, here at booklikes and on gr too.

If that's not a sign from the universe about what to put on my reading list next, I don't know what is.

Rest in peace, Uncle Bill.  You were loved.